Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Week 10 discussion

Hey everybody,

I've decided that I am going to start a general discussion on each weeks material just to help clarify bits I dont understand, share my views and get peoples opinions on the various topics.

I didnt make it to this weeks lecture due to illness but had a browse theough the notes. The excell program sounds very interesting. One bit that interested me was the 'Cultural mapping' phase. Did Anita go into more detail about this in the lecture?? One of my initial reactions was that people within a culture behave in such different ways that it would be hard to give examples of 'culturally preferable' behaviours.

Is there really that much difference between cultures? I've never had the experience of living in other cultures but I figure good manners and 'treat others how you'd like to be treated' apply universally. Does anyone have personal experience of different behavioural expectations between cultures??

Any feedback welcome!

6 comments:

James Neill said...

Hi Mike,
That's a useful way of using your blog.

FYI We'll specifically tackle 'cultural mapping' in the W11 tutorials. There are I think some generic skills which will help navigate your way through most cultures; I guess 'cultural mapping' can help give more specific guidance around the kinds of behaviours which are more likely to succeed in achieving goals in particularly cultural contexts.

e.g., for an international student coming to study at an Australian university, where there is a limited time for getting up to speed with how to operate in the new culture (e.g., how to approach a lecturer), the Excell program can help to speed up the learning process about key skills.

Mike said...

Hi james,
thanks for your reply.

Sounds like an interesting tutorial might have to check it out! I was wondering does the excell program cater for say Australian students going to asian countries? Or is it just the other way?

Bec said...

Hi Mike,
I think this is a very good idea, especially if people are unwell and cannot make it to the lectures or tutes. Plus it allows people to discuss the topics each week.

Also you can find my reply to you regarding the bystander effect at
http://becblair.blogspot.com/2007/09/reply-to-mike.html

ZPeel said...

Hi Mike,
I think your suggestion of a weekly discussion is a great idea. I found the week 10 lecture very interesting and the tutorial complemented the material well. It was interesting to discuss the "cultures" we each belong to, and the overlap or differences between other students. Understanding the importance and significance of this topic is extremely interesting and I look forward to keeping an eye on any further discussions surrounding the lecture.

Also I have added a brief post surrounding your comment and others comments on my blog - http://zoesocialpsych.blogspot.com/2007/09/reply-to-comments-on-bystander-effect.html

Thanks!

Ali said...

Hi!!
I agree with the 'good manner's and 'do to others as you would have them do to you', but there are also a whole lot of different factors involved when it comes to culture...
I travelled to Africa in my gap year and one of the customs there is to never touch with your left hand as it is unclean. They use their right hand to eat and greet others while their left hand is for cleaning themselves, especially after using the bathroom.....
This is just one example of the types of things i encountered while overseas and i guess that all these small customs and beliefs all contrinbute to culture...

Mike said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences Ali, very interesting! I guess there are a lot of little things that if - as a visitor - you didn't know would make things awkward!